When I started this blog, I wasn’t sure I was even going to post anything, let alone tell anyone about it. I managed to keep this secret…for ONE day. Yup, I started this blog yesterday, for those of you who haven’t been looking at the publishing dates (and don’t worry, usually I wouldn’t bother with that kind of thing either), and I am so proud to be presenting the tenth post (within two days!) to you. Obviously, I had to make it have some coconut element.
I kept this blog a secret all of…well…yesterday, because I was very worried that my mom would worry about my sanity, my younger brother and sister would deem me as uncool, my dad would tell me I wasn’t using my time efficiently, and my boyfriend, I suspected, would laugh at me. Which he did, by the way, but not because I started this blog – but more on that in a minute. He came home after a work trip tonight and called me about half an hour before he arrived, so I decided I’d spill the beans (after having told my mom and sister this afternoon and receiving a bunch of praise) to him on the phone…that way, I could have quickly hung up if he decided to ridicule me. (Just a side note: my boyfriend has never laughed AT me ever, at least not in a mean way, and he is constantly reminding me not to worry about him not thinking that I’m pretty much the best thing ever.) Turns out he only wanted to know what I was blogging about, which I decided to keep from him until he came home.
At dinner (we had leftovers from the asian wok I made with my brother), I gulped down a whole plate of food in five spoonsful because I was so excited to show him the blog, but he just got up and went to the bathroom. He came out of the bathroom a few minutes later, laughing loudly and asking me whether I seriously placed the food processor in the freezer when it decided to overheat on me (read the story here). So, that was his awesome first reaction to my blog. The second was, to my great relief, also full of praise and happiness about the fact that he gets to try everything that I decide to make.
Exhilarated about the people who are closest to me now knowing about my new two-day-old-blogging addiction (it really helps to be honest about your problems!), I took my blog public and posted a link on facebook. Turns out my mom had already done that this afternoon, so it wasn’t even such a big deal in the grand scheme of things. The number of people who have visited my blog had quadrupled since then, I had just been to busy to notice.
To celebrate this big success, and, of course, the fact that my handsome boyfriend is back home, I decided to make us a little dessert.
Vegan Berry Coconut Ice-cream
- 350g frozen berries (remember I said I loved them? You can read about that here.)
- 2 Tablespoons berry juice
- coconut water of one refrigerated coconut can (see recipe for whipped coconut cream)
- 1/2 amount of coconut cream from one refrigerated coconut can
- 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar or maple syrup
- a sprinkle of pure cacao powder
1. In a blender (which has an ice crush function), blend the frozen berries, berry juice and coconut water until the consistency reminds you of a sorbet. Don’t worry if some of the larger berries (like strawberries) haven’t been completely minced.
2. Place in the freezer while you prepare the coconut whipped cream.
3.. In a bowl, whip up the coconut cream with the vanilla sugar.
3. Place three scoops of the vegan berry ice-cream in one bowl, add half of the whipped coconut cream and sprinkle half the amount ot cacao powder on top: voilà, one serving is complete. Either prepare the other serving for someone else, or have seconds!
If you don’t like coconut: the vegan berry icecream tastes swell on its own (just leave out the coconut water and the cream):
We opted for the coconut version, and I dare say my boyfriend enjoyed his welcome-home gift: