I really don’t like eating dinner late at night. I always feel too full to go to sleep, and usually don’t sleep very well once I do. However, we all have those days when we come home from a party, or have had a very busy day, when you’re just hungry. Sometimes it’s only an appetite, but if it’s real hunger, you just gotta eat something despite the time. Today was one of those days.
As I said, I don’t like feeling too full late at night, so I decided I’d go for a carb-free dish tonight. It’s also made up almost completely of veggies, which means there is no guilty conscience to be had in case you eat this after you’ve already had dinner (I hadn’t had dinner today, so naturally, I was hungry by 10pm):
Late-Night Creamy Avocado Zoodles With Carrot Spirals
for the zoodles and carrot spirals:
- 1 zucchini, washed
- 1 carrot, peeled
for the creamy avocado sauce:
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 Tbs. freshly pressed lemon juice
- 75g feta cheese (for vegan version, double the amount of basil leaves and leave out the feta)
- a handful of basil leaves
- salt, pepper, and paprika, to taste
1. Using a spiral cutter, turn the zucchini and carrot into spirals (see picture above). Heat salt water and bring to a boil. Then add the carrots to the boiling water, and, after 1 minute, add the zucchini. After 3 minutes (max.), take zoodles and carrot spirals out of the water.
2. For the sauce, blend together all the ingredients until they become a creamy mixture.
3. On top of the zoodles and carrot spirals, place the creamy avocado sauce. Serve sprinkled with some freshly ground pepper.