I guess everyone has realized that I love eating salad for lunch by now. I simply prefer having a lighter lunch because I always have a warm dinner (when my boyfriend comes home), so I usually choose to make a salad. However, as was the case today, when it’s getting to be that icky, foggy, cloudy October-weather, I sometimes really need something warm for lunch. And something crunchy. And something fruity. Basically, I just sometimes usually want and need a salad that contains all flavours, textures, and temperatures from salty, sweet, sticky, crunchy, soft, warm, hot, cold, frozen etc.
Today, I managed to make the perfect example of such a salad, a salad that not only filled me up, but may even inspire me to go for a run this afternoon despite the ugliness outside:
The October Salad
for the salad:
- 50-70g lamb’s lettuce
- 125g diced bacon (leave out for vegan/vegetarian version)
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 1/2 Tbs. dried cranberries
- 1 1/2 Tbs. walnuts, roughly chopped
- 100g green beans
- seasoning for the beans: salt, pepper, dill, lovage, tarragon
for the dressing:
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 Tbs. cranberry vinegar (I couldn’t resist the temptation of the farmer’s market in our little town yesterday…read more about what I discovered there here)
- 1. tsp. chopped chives
- 1 chopped green onion
1. Mix together the ingredients for the dressing in a large bowl.
2. Wash your lettuce, chop the tomato, and add to the salad bowl.
3. Start heating a pan, and then add the diced bacon (without oil!). Roast until it turns brown, then take out of the pan and place on a cleenex, so that the excess fat will be soaked up.
4. Now put the green beans into the heated pan, seasoning them with salt, pepper, tarragon, lovage, and dill. Once they are browned, add to the salad bowl.
5. Mix the salad, and put in a serving plate.
6. Sprinkle the chopped walnuts and dried cranberries on top. If you are vegan or vegetarian, skip step 7.
7. Add the roasted diced bacon to the salad.
…and, the final step, the BEST step: Add the BACON!
Enjoy! This October Salad will fill you right up, and give you lots of exciting flavours, bringing a bit of happiness to your heart on a yucky day.