What is it that makes us feel stressed out so quickly? I don’t know about you, but I’m a very big stresser. It doesn’t take much to set me off worrying, hyperventilating in my thoughts, trying desperately to get out of my life. Sounds a bit extreme, does it? I am sure most of you know the feeling (or something like it), though.
It’s always so easy to tell someone who is stressed out, or afraid of something, that everything will work itself out, It’s easy to tell them that you love them, it’s easy to tell them everything is going to be okay. It’s what we learn, what we need to believe will work, because if it doesn’t, the question remains: How can you help someone who is making themself go crazy?
As I said, I am that person, making myself crazy most of the time. And it’s not just because of the exams coming up, it takes a lot less, trust me. What helps me? Well, if anything, being held. Ever heard of a bear hug? Those are great when you feel like something is suffocating you (which is ironic, because bear hugs usually cover every bit of your face, which could potentially actually suffocate you). But, even better, at least for me, is telling a stressed person not only that everything will be okay, but that they won’t be alone. I think that is the bigger fear, or the bigger stress-inducing factor: fear of being alone, of not making it because there is no one to support you, of not being held (hence the bear hug) in both the literal and the figurative sense.
Therefore, coming to the end of my psychological insight here: if you have a friend who is stressing themself, don’t try to talk it away by telling them it’ll be fine, just hug them very tightly, and let them know with fewer words, if any, that you won’t leave them alone in their stressful life.
Or, you know, you could cook them dinner, or lunch – ’cause that’ll show them you’re prepared to be there for them for sure, right? (I’m not saying that the food part is necessarily the solution, mostly the taking-something-off-the-stressed-person’s-hands-part is relevant.) If you’re not a big cook, the following dish is perfect, as it’s a very simple, quick, and still healthy, yummy dish. (By the way, I adapted this from a recipe that my sister came up with – so I can’t take all the glory for this wonderful dish!)
Healthy Vegan Spinach-Tomato Spelt Spirelli
- 250g whole-spelt spirelli
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped garlic clove
- 250g spinach (fresh or frozen)
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. soy cream
- 100ml white wine
- 250g canned and diced tomatoes
- salt, pepper, Italian herbs to taste
1. Heat up the water for the spirelli and, once it starts boiling, cook the spirelli.
2. Heat up the oil in a pan, and, once heated, sauté the chopped onion until it turns glassy.
3. Add the spinach and garlic clove, and after two minutes, pour the wine into the pan. Sprinkle a bit of salt onto the spinach.
4. Add the canned, diced tomatoes and the soy cream. Bring to a boil, and add seasoning, to taste.
5. Once the sauce starts boiling, turn off the heat, and put the lid on the pan. Allow the sauce to simmer as you finish boiling the spirelli.
6. Once the spirelli are done, serve in a big plate, producing a smile on your stressed friend’s face for sure!