I used to love porridge for breakfast. My siblings and I almost always had it mixed with fruit, raisins, or simply some cocoa powder. I actually spent some time at a boarding school during my first school years, and, while we didn’t have porridge there, we always had oats, warm milk, and cocoa powder at breakfast – so we had something very close to porridge there, too.
Many people say they don’t like porridge, perhaps because in their mind it’s very runny, watery, and not necessarily sweet. I only think of it as creamy, thick, and definitely sweet (not savory). And it’s so simple to prepare, so quick & easy (which is a new category on this blog that I just openend), and so filling! Especially for colder days, having a warm porridge for breakfast is great!
I figured I’d use the word “oatmeal” to make clear that I am not talking about the runny version often served in Germany or Britain, and I hope it encourages all those of you who have had bad experiences to give it another try. I added some grated apple, sliced apple, and sliced banana to mine, heated it quickly in the microwave to save even more time, and topped it off with my homemade crunchy granola – it was purely nostalgic, heavenly bliss.
To save even more time – eventhough this takes no longer than a peanutbutter-jelly toast – you could prepare the oatmeal the night before, and stick in the microwave in the morning, only adding the topping of granola.
Warm And Filling Bircher Oatmeal With Granola Topping
- 3 Tbs. finely rolled oats
- 250ml (1 cup) soy milk
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 apple (1/4 grated, 1/4 diced)
- 1/2 banana, sliced
- 2 Tbs. granola (optional, you could also simply add some nuts, cacao nibs, seeds, raisins…whatever your heart may desire!)
1. Add 125ml (1/2 cup) of the milk to the rolled oats, and stick into the microwave for 1 minute on highest heat.
2. When you take it out, the oats will have soaked up all the milk. Add the other half of the milk, and stir into the sticky oat mixture, adding the grated apple and cinnamon.
3. Add the banana and diced apple on top, as well as your topping. Eat immediately and enjoy it while it’s still warm!
…and, after you’ve taken a picture of it looking all pretty, stir well and dig into this gooeyness!