There are just some days that are super-busy, but you feel like you haven’t accomplished anything by the end of it. Today was such a day…I feel like I have been running from one place to the next all morning and early afternoon, and the rest of the afternoon was spent doing nothing productive either. Really, the only thing I have achieved today is writing this and two other blogposts: Gluten-Free Oven-Baked Feta and Ugali na Chicha na Maharague. That’s something, I guess.
How ironic is it that we don’t “count” certain things when we look back onto our day, deciding whether we can be proud of ourselves or not? For example, if you clean out the dish washer, does it count as having achieved/done something? If you hang your laundry, or iron, or vacuum – does it count in your head? In my opinion, it should totally! I am so in favor of introducing some sort of tally-system where you can write down all those seemingly irrelevant chores, so that there is no denying how much you have actually achieved within one day. Who’s with me?
Since there is no such tally app yet, I decided to reward myself by making myself a pina colada…only without the rum…and without the cream…and without the pineapple. I guess it no longer counts (using that word a lot today!) as a pina colada, then, but I just don’t know how else to sum up this incredibly exotic coconut smoothie!
Non-Alcoholic Dairy-Free Pina Colada
- 1/2 overripe grapefruit (really make sure it’s ripe, otherwise it’ll be too sour or bitter)
- 1/2 banana
- 1 kiwi
- 250ml coconut milk (not coconut cream from the can!)
- ice cubes
1. Roughly dice the fruit and place in a blender along with the ice cubes.
2. Add the coconut milk.
3. Blend until smooth.
4. If the smoothie isn’t sweet enough for your liking, add some more banana, some dates, or some honey.
5. Pour into a glass filled with ice cubes.
For a deeper pink color, you could add a couple of berries to the mix.
6. Garnish with a slice of grapefruit, and serve with a straw. Dreaming yourself off to a deserted island starts now!