This morning, I created yet another version of my quick and easy, warm oatmeal. I have presented you with my warm and filling bircher oatmeal, and the vegan hazelnut chocolate oatmeal, so I decided to add yet another variety to the mix. As always, I like to keep my breakfast simple and quick to prepare, because, well, who likes to spend forever in the kitchen on a weekday morning?! I mixed it up only a little bit, mostly because I didn’t have a huge variety of fruit to choose from in my kitchen. I did find a very sweet pear, though, and figured I’d opt for that rather than a banana for a change. I love getting my sweetening from using 1/2 a banana, but I know some people don’t like bananas (my sister, for example), so therefore I wanted to give using “only” pear sweetness for a change.
I couldn’t really think of anything to go with pear, though, which is why my toppings on this oatmeal were less than creative. As usual, I used some of my awesome healthy granola (which I’m almost out of, so I will have to make some new granola soon!), and, for lack of anything better, I chopped up have a granny smith apple and sprinkled it on top. What the heck goes with pear?! If you have any good ideas, please let me (and everyone else) know!
Nevertheless, the oatmeal turned out perfectly this morning, and, eventhough it felt uncreative, I absolutely loved it.
(serves 1 bowl)
- 250ml lightly sweetened soy milk (or almond milk)
- 3 Tbs. rolled oats
- 2 Tbs. granola
- 1/2 pear, (1/4 grated)
- 1/2 granny smith apple (it should be granny smith as it will be a nice sour contrast to the sweet pear)
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1. Mix half of the soymilk with the rolled oats and place in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, until the oats have soaked up all the milk.
2. Mix in the rest of the milk, add the grated pear, and stir thoroughly.
3. Add the rest of the pear (diced) and the diced granny smith apple on top, as well as the granola and cinnamon.
4. Serve right away, while it’s still warm!
So, if you have any “better” ideas as toppings, please let me know!