This morning, it started snowing. And snowing. And snowing – and it hasn’t stopped. It seems that the bucketsful of snow are no longer soaring but dropping from the sky. And you know what? I’m absolutely loving it!
Last night, my sister asked if we wanted to go for a run today, but I guess that won’t happen now. No matter, if it ever starts snowing, I’m am totally getting out there to build a beautiful snowman! I even have a carrot left over from before the holidays, so it’s perfectly wrinkled!
After the holidays it seems everyone is always complaining about having eaten too much. At the risk of making myself some enemies, I don’t this year, which is mostly due to the fact that I tend to skip breakfast altogether on those days. And I started working out again after a 1-2 week slump, making myself feel more energized. (Probably a lot of you are swearing at me through the screen right now…I’m sorry!) I do crave some healthier foods, though, some basic salads and healthy breakfast, and some smoothies! So get ready for some healthy, detoxing, body-loving recipes over the next couple days/weeks.
Today, for starters, I made myself some nut-free granola, which I’ve just not had the mind to do the past couple weeks. If you’ve been following my posts the past quarter year, you’ll have read about my tropical coconut granola and my almond cranberry granola. Both of these are awesome, but contain nuts, which some people are allergic to. To switch my breakfast up a little, I decided to make a nut-free version, using three types of seeds: sunflower seeds, flax seeds, and sesame seeds! Add some puffed whole-grain rice and chopped cranberries, and you have yourself a superseedy, protein-rich granola with lots of crunch and bite!
This is only sweetend naturally with dates, and has one teaspoon of sesame oil to make it a bit stickier! I used rolled spelt oats, instead of regular oats, but feel free to use regular oats!
Super Seedy Granola
- 1 1/2 cups finely rolled whole-spelt oats
- 1/2 cup coarsely rolled whole-spelt oats
- 1/2 cup puffed whole-grain rice
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds (I used toasted ones)
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped dried cranberries (or other dried fruit if you dislike cranberries)
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 3 Tbs. date sweetener
- cinnamon and vanilla
1. Mix together your dry ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Stir in the sesame oil and date sweetener, making sure you have a somewhat sticky mixture. If it is not sticky enough, add more oil or sweetener.
3. Add a sprinkle of vanilla and cinnamon, and stir into mixture. Preheat oven to 175°C.
4. Spread out a baking sheet on a tin, and then spread out the raw granola mixture on top of that, pressing it down lightly.
5. Bake for 20 minutes, then move the browning granola around on the baking tin, and bake for another 5 minutes.
6. Take out of the oven, and allow to cool before transferring it into an airtight container/glass.
Enjoy with some cooled plantmilk or on top of your yoghurt, and you’ll feel back to your usual healthy self in no time! Go for a stroll in the snow this afternoon (if there is any where you’re at), and stop regretting having eaten too much. After all, Christmas is/was about celebrating with your family and enjoying life, right? There’s nothing wrong with that!