I have been waiting for this part of the day since this morning! According to advisement (by my boyfriend), I luxuriously slept in until…uhm…8 am, which, you know, probably doesn’t mean “sleeping in” to anyone, at least not to those of you who are teenagers or students. But, for me, it was great to shut off the alarm and sleep until I simply woke up! And what better to start the day with than a bowl of hot, creamy oatmeal?
I recently stopped using almond butter, as I fear I overate on it and was tested to have a slight almond intolerance (those things just keep popping up…), so I have been using peanutbutter for anything that calls for nutbutter. Well, my tastebuds definitely haven’t gotten sick of peanutbutter – and I doubt they ever will – but I really have been craving a change to peanutbutter. So, I finally got over myself and bought a ridiculously expensive glass of cashewbutter, feeling guilty as I walked to the cashier, ducking my head so nobody would notice I was way too young to be spending that kind of money on…nutbutter.
Nah, I’m obviously kidding, but it did take some negotiation in my head to actually buy it. I am so happy I did, though, otherwise I wouldn’t have been able to make this fabulous warm oatmeal this morning! I call it “The Vanilla Bowl”, as I feel like cashew butter is so similar to vanilla in taste that it is a no-brainer to combine the two. Add some frozen blueberries to a steaming oatmeal dish, watch as they slowly thaw and leave blue trails of juice on top of that creamy deliciousness…and you know where I was at this morning. Pure bliss to start off the day!
I have made other creamy bowls of oatmeal, for example my Nutty-Crunch Bowl with almond butter or my Tropical Bowl with whipped coconut cream. I dare say that this one is the creamiest, silkiest, smoothest-tasting bowl yet, and the warm banana on top adds even more sweet richness!
Start out by assembling your ingredients (not all of them are pictured):
Mix milk, mashed banana, and the cashew butter. (That’s some foodporn below, ain’t it?)
If you want, sprinkle some more vanilla on top – I couldn’t get enough of the vanilla!
Place the other half of the banana on top, and microwave again. This will warm the banana on top slightly, which is definitely what you want – it makes them soft and even more gooey, taking this Creamy Bowl over the top, trust me!
Creamy Blueberry Vanilla Bowl With Toasted Cashews
- 1 cup fine spelt oats (normal oats would work just fine)
- 1/2 cup soy milk (perhaps a bit more)
- 1 Tbs. cashew butter (make sure you have unsweetened nutbutter with no extra oil added!)
- 1/2-1 tsp. ground vanilla
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 banana
- 2 Tbs. cashews
1. In a serving bowl, mash 1/2 of the banana with the cashew butter, soy milk, and oats.
2. Grind some vanilla on top, mix, and microwave for 1 1/2 minutes.
3. While the oatmeal is heating up, toast the cashews without oil in a small pan. Be careful not to let them burn by stirring them around frequently!
4. Take out the oatmeal, slice the other half of the banana on top, and microwave for 30 more seconds. This will warm the banana on top slightly.
5. Add your other toppings: the frozen blueberries and toated cashews to add a bit of “bite”. If you want, sprinkle some more vanilla on top.
This filled me up very well without giving me a “heavy” feeling. It fuelled me through all my studying and heavy brainwork all morning, and it induced my day with so much healthy happiness that I may eat the exact same thing tomorrow morning!