Following in the footsteps of my October, November, and December salad, I made my January salad on Monday. It’s a travel-safe salad perfect for long workdays – or, as in my case, a day of university courses and study groups. It’s made up of almost only “green” ingredients, excepting the dressing and the millet, of course.
Monday is the day of the week most people really can’t bear. I was really dreading the Monday of this week, as I knew beforehand that it would be so crazily filled. I had to drive to Würzburg at 8am, which would have been okay, but, as I told you in my post about my crunchy crusty millet loaf (yes, I’m loving millet these days), it was my boyfriend’s birthday on Sunday, which went incredibly late. We cleaned up before going to bed, but I still, I got up on Monday morning, after cleaning up half of the night before, to continue cleaning up and packing my stuff for Würzburg. I was so glad I had prepared myself this awesome Green Salad beforehand, so at least I didn’t have to do that as well.
This salad needs to be prepared beforehand, as I doubt it will taste as well with freshly cooked millet. I chopped the parsley and sautéed the zucchini beforehand, and even mixed together the dressing the night before, so all I had to do in the morning was add the dressing and parsley, mix, pack and go. Saved myself so much time and had a wonderfully healthy, prettily green, satiating salad for lunch at university. It was the perfect serving size, especially since I had had only a banana for breakfast – Monday morning was crazy this week.
This is a huge bowl of green goodness right there: green olives, providing a healthy source of fat and anti-oxidants, sautéed zucchini for fibre and Vitamin C, millet, which is incredibly high in iron, and a whole bunch of detoxing parsley! The dressing is made up of all-natural apple cider, agave syrup, and olive oil, complementing the pretty neutral millet nicely!
The January Salad
- 1 cup cooked millet
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp. tomato-infused sunflower oil
- 2 chopped green onions
- 2 Tbs. green olives, halved
- salt and pepper
for the dressing:
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 Tbs. apple vinegar
- 2 Tbs. water
- 1 tsp. agave syrup
1. Dice the zucchini, and heat the tsp. of tomato-infused sunflower oil in a small pan. Mince the garlic and, once the oil is heated, throw in the zucchini and garlic. Sauté until the zucchini is browned, and then set aside.
2. In a bowl, mix together the zucchini, halved olives, and millet. If you are preparing this the night before, store the other “parts” of the salad in separate containers.
3. Chop the green onions and parsley, and, again, store in a separate container, unless you are going to eat this immediately.
4. Whisk together the ingredients for the dressing, and either pour over salad, or store until the next morning.
5. Before packing the salad, mix together all the ingredients in a travel-safe container.
Don’t forget to pack a fork or spoon!
A huge spoon full of health right there – this salad is so nutrition-rich that you won’t regret the bit of preparation work, trust me. It’ll leave you feeling empowered for anything: even terrifying Mondays.