I feel like I’ve spent my entire day in the kitchen. Which, you know, is not a bad thing. But I am sitting here wondering where my day has gone…perhaps I feel like it has been shorter because I actually did some housework today; I changed the bed sheets, ironed a humongous pile of laundry, and went grocery shopping. I did food-prep for the week and even managed to bake some muffins for a day of choir practice tomorrow. If you have never sung for an entire day, you won’t know how important it is to have some muffins at hand to munch on in between!
I have made these before, but never got around to posting the recipe, mostly because I didn’t have enough pictures and I wasn’t 100% happy about the result. Today, however, they turned out just the way I like them: chocolatey, dense, a bit fruity due to the cranberries, low on sugar and fats due to mashed bananas and ground macadamias. These muffins are a beautiful thing!
Oh, and did I mention vegan? And wheat-free? Yup, I am not joking. I would even say it’s alright to have one of these for breakfast, as they are definitely healthier than your typical muffings. The chocolate chunks and dried cranberries give these some “bite”…but I think I don’t need to advertise them any longer, ’cause who doesn’t love chocolate muffins?
You could ice these, of course, but as I am transporting them tomorrow, I decided not to.
When looking at all the dry ingredients in a bowl, you can imagine how these turned out:
Add that creamy banana and coconut oil…
…mix…and you’ll be ready to fill the chocolatey dough into forms! I needed 14, which is not ideal, perhaps you can make smaller muffins and you’ll have a nicer number.
Bake, allow to cool for five minutes, and you’ll have done it: Made vegan, wheat-free, one-bowl, chocolate muffins!
One-Bowl Cranberry Chocolate Muffins
- 2 1/2 cups spelt flour (350g)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbs. brown sugar (85g)
- 2 Tbs. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground vanilla
- 1/2 cup ground macadamia (60g)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (70g)
- 1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate (72%) (75g)
- 3 bananas
- 1 Tbs. coconut oil
- 1 cup soymilk (or other dairy-free milk)
1. In a bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.
2. Mix together, and purée the bananas in a food processor. Add the puréed bananas to the dry ingredients, as well as the coconut oil. Stir thoroughly with a spoon.
3. Preheat your oven to 175° C (350°F). Fill about 2 Tbs. of dough into muffin forms.
4. Bake for 20 minutes, then allow to cool.
Enjoy these with a glas of cold (plant)milk, or make others happy by bringing them one for tea time tomorrow! I’m excited to surprise my choir with these babies!