There is some serious procrastination cooking going on in my kitchen. That and procrastination blogging. Yup, both of these are a thing! And the result of said procrastination is truly beneficial to you, trust me. I have created THE ultimate chocolate treat, and the best thing about them are that they are much healthier than your standard chocolate bar. They are even packed with loads of goodies, such as filling chia seeds, heaps of protein, and healthy fats.
Let me be clear, though: there are ways of “healthyfying” snacks, but you can overindulge on healthy snacks just as much. 🙂 I speak from experience, trust me. But, what these chocolate blissballs have going for them is their incredible protein levels: I used my new hemp protein powder to really spike the protein amount in these babies, and the chia seeds make them oh-so-filling (another reason why you really SHOULDN’T overindulge).
The Ultimate Chocolate Protein Balls
- 1/2 cup cashews & macadamia
- 1 cup dates
- 1 Tbs. coconut oil
- 1/4 cup hemp protein powder
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 heaped Tbs. sunbutter (or almondbutter)
- 1 heaped Tbs. chia seeds
- 2 Tbs. water
1. Place the nuts in a food processor and pulsate a few times. Add the dates, and pulsate several times again.
2. Add all the other ingredients, and keep pulsing until you have a thick, sticky “dough”.
3. Wet your hands with cold water, then roll the “dough” into balls, and place the balls on a baking parchment.
4. Place the balls in the freezer for 10-15 minutes to allow them to really firm up, then store in an airtight container in the fridge.
These are so simple to make, and the coconut oil and sunbutter make them dreamily fudgy! The nuts and protein powder mix quite well – feel free to exchange the nuts for almonds or walnuts, or even sunflower seeds, shredded coconut, sesame and flax for a nutfree version!
These will satisfy any chocolate craving you have and give you a huge energy boost at the same time. I imagine they’ll be great crumbled over a bowl of oatmeal or some nanaicecream as well!
You could always switch up the sunbutter with peanutbutter, almondbutter, or even coconutbutter for a more exotic taste! Personally, I’m loving my homemade sunflower seed butter, and therefore am using it in EVERYTHING.
Okay, I gotta get back to studying now, my excuses are up. Have a lovely weekend, and go make these chocolate protein balls right now! You won’t regret it.