Sometimes, when you don’t know what you want to have for lunch, the best things come together. This was the case last Tuesday, when I was seriously hungry after ironing a huge pile of laundry and picking up stuff around the apartment…well, not really. I wasn’t seriously hungry, but craving something filling, fruity, savory, creamy, and crunchy. Oh, and I wanted to have salad. So, what’s a girl to do?
Filling: There is some delicious quinoa as the base of this bowl, which anyone who read the title already knows.
Fruity: Enter a juicy, ripe mango. I was really lucky with the mangoes I bought last week, they are actually perfectly ripe and flavorful for once.
Savory: I used some chopped rocket as my savory component, which worked wonderfully as it’s also slightly spicy, adding “umpfh” to the dish.
Creamy: Okay, you probably could’ve guessed: avocado cubes! I love adding avocado to my salads, rice, toast, anything, really. My boyfriend has lovingly dubbed me an avocado monster.
Crunchy: My favorite addition to the salad are the crunchy white bean croutons I recently came up with. Delicious, protein-packed, salty, crunchy, and glutenfree.
I put all those yummy ingredients on a bed of endive lettuce leaves, making it look both pretty and allowing me to add some extra greens to my lunch bowl.
Like I said, I didn’t plan this, but it turned out to be one of the best lunches I’ve had in a while! As you can see in the picture above, there were so many toppings you could barely see the quinoa, but, you know, it’s always all about the toppings!
The great thing about this summer bowl is that it is incredibly filling, but not heavy! It will leave your tastebuds satisfied, and your hunger satiated, and yet there’s no weariness in the afternoon. I’m sure this would also be a great lunch to pack, as there’s basically no dressing involved, so nothing can get “soggy”.
Vegan Summer Quinoa Bowl
- 1 cup quinoa, precooked
- a few endive salad leaves (optional)
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 1/2 mango, diced
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 handful rocket, chopped
- 1/2 cup white beans, cooked
- 1 Tbs. tomato-infused olive oil (or simple olive oil)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 slice of lemon
- 1 slice of orange
- 1 tsp. lime oil
- 1/2 tsp. herbal salt
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. Wash the endive salad leaves, and spread them in a soup plate or bowl.
2. Place the quinoa on top of the salad leaves, and sprinkle with the lime oil.
3. Add your tomato, avocado, and mango on top, and squeeze the orange and lemon slice on top.
4. In a small pan, heat the 1 Tbs. tomato-infused olive oil, and then add the white beans. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. of salt and 1/2 tsp. paprika, and stir until crunchy and brown on the outside.
5. Sprinkle the herbal salt on the salad, then add the white bean croutons, freshly ground pepper, rocket, and green onion. Serve immediately, while the croutons are still warm!
I love the colors in this picture…no wonder I was so satisfied after! I feel like if our eyes are pleased by what we see on our plates, we’ll feel happy after eating!
I had some tomatoes from my boyfriend’s parents’ garden, so they were extremely flavorful and tasty, and complimented the mango and avocado so well! I absolutely adore this summer bowl, and if I had to pick one thing to have for the next 4 weeks, I would choose this bowl without even thinking. Add some of my wheatfree oregano baguette on the side, and you’ll have a perfect summer dinner!