After what feels like the longest break I’ve ever taken from the blog, I’m finally sitting down to write up one of the recipes I’ve had stored up and just haven’t had the time or energy to write up for you. So sorry about that, but just read my previous post to know what my excuse is – moving 280km back home turned a lot upside down for me, and while I now know that I won’t be moving anywhere else anytime soon, it still hasn’t been the easiest month.
As I’m trying not to dwell on it, though, let’s just get to the recipe and get this blog started again. Without further ado:
One of the things I am really appreciate of now that I’m back in my old apartment again is the fact that my oven works perfectly. That’s something I repeatedly struggled with last school year, as the oven in my apartment there worked, but had its own idea about how well, how fast and how consistently it’d heat up.
So, I’ve been enjoying the perks of having an oven that I can trust. And, what else to do on hot summer days than bake a potato in your oven, top it with some cold topping, and side it with a fresh salad? Nothing else, my friends. It’s the only thing to do. 🙂
As you can see, I’m back with my humorous ways.
And with good, happiness-inducing, healthy food.
As you can see, I had a very simple side salad with my baked potato, topped it with homemade tuna salad and drizzled sriracha on top. Best summer meal ever!
This recipe actually serves two people, at least if you’re not up to eating two huge potatoes yourself. Whether or not you top it or stuff it with tuna salad is completely up to you – I’m thinking of making these with a hummus – roasted pepper variation today, as I had it in Scotland around Pentecost this year:
Usually, baking potatoes is quite a lengthy process, but I’ve found a great way to short the baking time: Microwave the potatoes for 5 minutes beforehand! That cuts the baking time by at least 30 minutes, if not longer.
Easy Oven-Baked Potatoes
- 2 large potatoes
- 1-2 twigs of fresh rosemary, chopped finely
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt
- 1 clove of garlic
1. Preheat the oven to 175°C (350°F).
2. Place the two washed potatoes in a microwave-safe plate and puncture the skin several times, using a fork. Microwave for 5 minutes.
3. Mix the oil with the rosemary, sea salt and garlic, then rub on the microwaved potatoes using a brush.
4. Place the potatoes on a baking tin, then bake for 20 minutes.
5. Turn the potatoes around after 20 minutes and rub the other side with the rosemary-oil-mix. Bake another 20-25 minutes, until the potatoes are golden brown.
6. Serve by cutting open in the middle and topping with favorite toppings.
Yes, these still take quite a while, but you can prepare your salad while they are in the oven and, if you’re making the tuna salad yourself, you can do that as well. Or you can pop these in the oven the moment you come home from work and relax a bit until dinner’s ready.
What’s your prefereed topping for this super easy baked potato? Any ideas? Let me know in the comments!